The General Meeting was held in the Bowie Cafeteria on Tuesday, March 10, 2020, with around 80 attendees.
Members voted to elect the 2020 board:
- Lily Spencer President
- Kate Rutherford Vice President
- Frank Elam Membership Chair
- Joe Dorfmeister Chair of Code/Zoning/Safety
- Katie Mudd Media Chair
- Patti Troupe Events Chair
- Travis Swindle Treasurer
- Sandra McKimmey Secretary
- Vacant Beautification Chair – We are still looking for a volunteer to head the Chair of Beautification! Is it you?
Members voted to change the following bylaws at the request of the board:
- The General Meeting may now be scheduled anytime during the first quarter vs. strictly in January
- Board members may now hold office longer than two consecutive years if there are no other candidates
2019 Financial Report – click here.
Association Accomplishments in 2019:
- Repaired the sprinklers to the Arapaho Strip entrance sign and rigged another solution to the rest of the strip (saving thousands) until we come up with a permanent solution
- Secured a new landscaper to mow the Arapaho Strip bi-weekly and trim the hedges twice a year at a very reasonable cost
- Took over (temporarily) the organization of the holiday decorations on stop signs and entrance signs
- Conducted a survey to see how we could best serve our neighborhood
- Began planning a 2020 membership drive
- Began redesigning the welcome packets for new homeowners
- Began reorganizing the welcome packet delivery process
- Began looking into online membership directory possibilities
VIP (Volunteers in Patrol/Crime Watch) :
- Chair of Code/Zoning/Safety took over as leader of Crime Watch (VIP) group
- Met with VIP volunteers the 4th Thursday of each month
- Created new online sign-up capability for VIP members
- Obtained new magnets & patrol light for vehicles
- Maintained close communications with Cara Mendhelson (city councilwoman), and Officer Lutz of the DPD
- Attended neighborhood meetings such as NDNA & Coffee with Cara
- Created new digital newsletters
- sent out 10 digital & hardcopy newsletters
- Secured over $1000 of in-kind donations from local businesses
- Regularly updated Estates West Facebook page and Nextdoor with relevant information and events
- Updated the website with current information and redirected traffic to the site for all events
- Created a Google Docs for the Association to keep track of documents in a centralized location
- Redirected all emails connected with the Association to [email protected], [email protected] & [email protected]
- Hosted an Easter hunt/potluck party in partnership with Prestonwood East
- Hosted the 4th of July Parade & party in partnership with Prestonwood East & Highlands North
- Hosted National Night Out
- Each of these events was very successful with much more participation than in previous years.
- Hosted NEW events: Halloween & Christmas house decorating contests
- Passed out many gift cards and prizes
- Created new signage for the membership drive
- Voted to move the board towards an official non-profit in order request more donations from local businesses
- Started a financial approvals list for board members and their volunteers
- Created an easy online reimbursement system for Association costs
- Created profit & loss, cash flow & balance statements for 2019
- Began looking into automatic renewal notifications for Association members to renew their membership easily
A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO:
- Kanette Grasse for serving as Chair of Beautification. She had to step down in January due to a new full time job
- Arapaho Strip volunteers for keeping weeds and ants at bay. (Note that none of these volunteers even live by the strip, they just love our neighborhood!)
- Amy Spencer for serving as Secretary, she had to step down in November due to an increased workload.
- Sylvia Urech and her volunteers for bringing Welcome Packets to new neighbors. Sylvia is stepping down as the organizer.
- Cathy Ignatin and all the volunteers for decorating the stop signs during the holidays! Cathy has stepped down from her role as organizer.
- Sunshine Mossa & her team of door to door newsletter and invitation deliverers for hand delivering newsletters door to door. (They had an increased workload this year with all their deliveries!)
- VIP volunteers for patrolling our neighborhood each month, keeping eyes on anything unusual and staying connected with our police department.
- Ann Murphy and her volunteers for decorating our neighborhood with flags during certain holidays.
- Monique Kursner and her volunteers who helped organize Easter in the past and ALL the volunteers who helped with the Easter potluck party in 2019!
- Mr. Hugo Sanchez – Code Inspector from the City of Dallas for attending our General Meeting and being available to answer questions from residents.
- OUR SPONSORS FOR THE EVENING!
- DALLAS ARBORETUM for providing 4 entrance tickets for our giveaway
- COUSINS PAINTBALL for providing gift certificates for our giveaway AND our water bottles for the evening!
- GRANDMA’S BAKERY for providing delicious homemade cookies
- THE NATIONAL VIDEO GAME MUSEUM for providing entrance tickets for our giveaway
- RAISING CANES CHICKEN for providing tea, lemonade for the evening & a gift basket for our giveaway
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS for providing UTD branded t-shirts & cups for our giveaway